Quotes from individuals who have gone before us down the path of life are inspiring and instrumental in shaping who we are. They shape who we become. When we read and digest information, it helps shape our worldview on that particular subject.
I wrote a book on servant leadership as my final project for my Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership. To date, it was one of the most difficult projects I have taken on. Instead of it sitting on my hard drive, I have decided to have the book edited to self-publish on Amazon. I have had the draft edited but have not yet done the revisions. I guess it is time for me to take my own advice, make appointments with myself, and begin to work on those revisions.
In the book, I discuss the difference a leader can make by being a certain type of leader. I talk about the difference between leading and managing. Communicating clearly, empowering followers, and showing the way are what set apart mediocre leaders from great leaders. I think the book is chalk full of good information and hope you do to.
Those in positions of leadership need to be intentional about their own development as well as the development of their followers. Being a leader is not a position that should be taken lightly. Unfortunately, we have all seen the individuals who have somehow made their way to leading organizations who probably should have minimal interaction with the others.
Leadership quotes can inspire us to be better leaders. Below are 11 leadership quotes to make you think. Some of these are in my book, others will be added.
11 Leadership Quotes to Make You Think
- Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out. —Stephen Covey
- You Don’t Need a Title to be a Leader. —Multiple Attributes
- Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. —General Dwight Eisenhower
- The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant. —Max DePree
- Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy. —Norman Schwarzkopf
- A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way. —John Maxwell
- What you do has far greater impact than what you say. —Stephen Covey
- You manage things; you lead people. – Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper
- You don’t lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case. —Ken Kesey
- The task of the leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been. – Henry Kissinger
- The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. – Dwight D. Eisenhower
These quotes are all great. However, a quote is no good unless we understand how to apply it appropriately in our leadership context.
There are so many great leadership quotes from many great leaders. With the internet, quotes are available at our finger tips. As I go back over my first draft, I undoubtedly will add more quotes as they fit into the text.
Do you have a favorite leadership quote? Share below!
Here’s to the Journey!